Sunday, November 8, 2009

Summer Stone Carving, Part 3






Well, I brought that knot sculpture home from Nova Scotia thinking that it just needed a little more work. And then it took me most of September and October to finish it and get it mounted on a base! But in the end it was worth it. I entered it in the juried member's show at the Wayne Art Center, and won the award for the sculpture category, out of 15 or so other 3-D pieces in the show. It is titled, simply, "Knot." I'm still trying to figure out what the knot means to me. It seems to suggest a kind of strong embrace as well as a feeling of confinement or constriction. But beyond that I'm really not sure. I do know that the knotting and twisting of several strands of rope creates forms that are sculpturally exciting and challenging, so I'll probably be working with this idea some more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment